"Witness" is the title track to Katy Perry's fifth studio album, Witness. The song was speculated to serve as the second single according to Capitol FM, but removed the announcement after proved false.
The demo of the song leaked online after Perry's social media was hacked on May 30, 2016. The hacker leaked the song through their own SoundCloud account under the name "Witness 1.3" and the artist name as "slut".. The leak was an early stage demo of the song for inclusion for Perry's upcoming album. Perry shared a snippet of the song through her Instagram story on March 24, 2017.
Promotion for the song started May 13, 2017, almost an entire year after the song's initial leak. May 14, Perry released a snippet of the chorus of the final version of the song through her twitter account. The song was confirmed the song will be the first track of the album before her show at The Water Rats in London, United Kingdom during a livestream with CapitalFM. She told CapitalFM that the song is about "being seen and heard". During an exclusive album listening party in Berlin, she said that one of the boys she used to date had asked her at the end of 2015 what the first song she'd write for a new record would be. She liked the word "Witness" and the title, and held a lot of meaning to her. She started writing the song weeks or even months later.
- Witness Booklet
- ↑ http://www.capitalfm.com/artists/katy-perry/music/witness/
- ↑ http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/katy-perry-has-her-twitter-898299
- ↑ http://www.inquisitr.com/3152011/katy-perrys-witness-1-3-what-we-know-about-the-single-that-is-no-more/
- ↑ https://twitter.com/katyperry/status/863840767676002305
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/CapitalFM/videos/1502304626494524/